Healthcare facility sued over death of elderly man who drank hospital hand sanitizer

August 24, 2017

The Hull Royal Infirmary in Yorkshire, England, was recently successfully sued over the death of elderly man who drank hospital hand sanitizer, according to an article on the ITV website.

The 76-year-old man who was being treated following a chest infection, and after becoming confused at home, consumed 500ml of the liquid, which was 75 per cent alcohol – the equivalent of a litre of gin.

A limit on the amount of sanitizer such bottles can dispense is now being considered.

Since the death, Hull and East Yorkshire Hospitals NHS Trust has introduced lockable wall mounted dispensers and issued staff with mini bottles of hand wash.

Read the article.

 

See the latest posts on our homepage


Share

Topic Area: Safety


Recent Posts
Recent Posts

San Juan VA hospital sheltering veterans after hurricane


In many instances the VA has kept people after they were stabilized, because they had nowhere else to go

11/17/2017

DC VA cancels surgeries over concerns about surgical equipment


The surgical devices were discolored and may have been subjected to an overabundance of cleaning solution

11/17/2017

Nashville hospital to end inpatient care


Nashville General Hospital is the the city’s only safety net hospital

11/17/2017

Reasons why telehealth is gaining momentum


New bills in Congress are helping the implementation of telehealth programs

11/17/2017

Oregon hospital working to change perception of hospital food


About 80 percent of food served at St. Charles Prineville is for medical staff, friends and family of patients, and the general public

11/17/2017





Post Comment




FREE
NEWSLETTER

• News and Updates
• Webcast Alerts
• Building Technologies



All fields are required.