Other incidents at Wishaw that made it into NHS Lanarkshire’s annual fire safety report include a member of staff cooking on a George Foreman grill in the accident and emergency (A&E) department, a patient setting his bandage alight in the emergency ward, food that ignited in a microwave in the cardiac care unit and a patient emptying his pipe into a bin on a ward, the article said.
None of these incidents caused any damage to the building or injuries to people.
“Fire incidents are primarily associated with the actions of patients or electrical appliances. Staff are provided with fire awareness training on an annual basis as they need to have an understanding of fire risks and know what to do in an emergency in order that, in the event of a fire, fire safety procedures can be applied effectively, an NHS Lanarkshire spokesperson said in the article.
Read the article.
See the latest posts on our homepage