MEMBER EXCLUSIVE

Lessons from the Ebola crisis

Healthcare professionals have learned a great deal about creating effective care environments that allow for the safe treatment of patients with EVD and other infectious diseases.

Sign up and start learning today

Patient killed, nurses injured in Pa. hospital patient room fire

August 2, 2017

A fire in the UPMC Susquehanna Williamsport (Pa.) killed a patient and injured two nurses, according to an article on the LeHigh Valley website.

The patient allegedly set her gown on fire when she lit a cigarette lighter while on oxygen. Two members of the nursing staff who helped put the fire out suffered minor injuries. Nursing staff outside the patient's room activated the fire alarms after seeing smoke.

The fire also  involved the chair that the patient was sitting in some bedding material and a blanket. The wing where the fire occurred was evacuated.

A set of fire doors to the involved wing were shut, preventing smoke from spreading throughout the floor.

Read the article.

 

See the latest posts on our homepage

Share:

Topic Area: Safety


Recent Posts



Post Comment




FREE
NEWSLETTER

• News and Updates
• Webcast Alerts
• Building Technologies



All fields are required.