Operating room lights covered after metal shards fell on patient

May 2, 2017

Gold Coast University Hospital in Queensland, Australia, has launched an internal safety investigation after metal shards from operating room lights fell on patient, according to an article on the Gold Coast Bulletin website.

A hospital spokesperson said staff were working with the light manufacturer after staff identified a deterioration in the metal arm of two lights.

“The stop mechanism failed, resulting in the lights rotating beyond their design,” the spokesperson said.

The lights have been covered and replacement arms for all operating room lights have been ordered.

Read the article.



See the latest posts on our homepage


Topic Area: Safety

Recent Posts
Recent Posts

Florida hospital says it's prepared for mass shooting

The healthcare facility uses lessons learned from tragedies and incorporates them in its plans.


House passes bill weakening Americans With Disabilities Act

Disability rights advocates and Democratic leaders say bill removes incentives for businesses


Ideas for dealing with linen hoarding

Management software, policies and education are key


Tougher penalties sought for patients who assault Hawaii healthcare workers

There were 1,075 assaults against healthcare workers in Hawaii hospitals, nursing homes and patients’ homes in 2017


Study suggests hand-washing helps decrease nursing home deaths

Researchers recommend using hospital hand-hygiene protocols


Post Comment


• News and Updates
• Webcast Alerts
• Building Technologies

All fields are required.