Patient killed, nurses injured in Pa. hospital patient room fire

August 2, 2017

A fire in the UPMC Susquehanna Williamsport (Pa.) killed a patient and injured two nurses, according to an article on the LeHigh Valley website.

The patient allegedly set her gown on fire when she lit a cigarette lighter while on oxygen. Two members of the nursing staff who helped put the fire out suffered minor injuries. Nursing staff outside the patient's room activated the fire alarms after seeing smoke.

The fire also  involved the chair that the patient was sitting in some bedding material and a blanket. The wing where the fire occurred was evacuated.

A set of fire doors to the involved wing were shut, preventing smoke from spreading throughout the floor.

Read the article.


See the latest posts on our homepage


Topic Area: Safety

Recent Posts

Post Comment


• News and Updates
• Webcast Alerts
• Building Technologies

All fields are required.