Healthcare facility sued over death of elderly man who drank hospital hand sanitizer

August 24, 2017

The Hull Royal Infirmary in Yorkshire, England, was recently successfully sued over the death of elderly man who drank hospital hand sanitizer, according to an article on the ITV website.

The 76-year-old man who was being treated following a chest infection, and after becoming confused at home, consumed 500ml of the liquid, which was 75 per cent alcohol – the equivalent of a litre of gin.

A limit on the amount of sanitizer such bottles can dispense is now being considered.

Since the death, Hull and East Yorkshire Hospitals NHS Trust has introduced lockable wall mounted dispensers and issued staff with mini bottles of hand wash.

Read the article.


See the latest posts on our homepage


Topic Area: Safety

Recent Posts

Post Comment


• News and Updates
• Webcast Alerts
• Building Technologies

All fields are required.