Hot cleaning rags ignite at California nursing home

October 31, 2017

A laundry mistake almost turned into a dangerous fire at a Eureka, Calif., nursing facility, according to an article on the KIEM TV website.

Humboldt Bay Fire crews were alerted of a fire in the laundry room at the Granada Rehabilitation and Wellness Center when cleaning rags ignited after being removed from the dryer too soon without cooling off.

The fire sprinkler helped in initial containment, as patients evacuated and Humboldt Bay Fire and an Arcata Fire unit headed to the scene. There was some damage, but no injuries reported.

Humboldt Bay Fire said fabrics needed to go through the cool down phase in the dryer before they are put into piles.

Read the article.


See the latest posts on our homepage


Topic Area: Safety

Recent Posts
Recent Posts

Bed bug histamines persistent in infested areas

New research suggests bed bugs are a medically important threat


Supporting staff during a healthcare facility downsizing

As the healthcare landscape transforms, organizations face reengineering initiatives, restructurings, redundancies and downsizings


W.Va. healthcare facility postpones surgeries due to sterilization issues

Cabell Huntington Hospital found residue on equipment and surgical trays


Deadly ‘superbug’ fungus may be spreading

Number of U.S. patients infected with Candida auris has climbed to 200


Report surveys Texas hospitals on Harvey-related issues

Texas Hospital Association analyzes Texas hospitals' disaster response before, during, and after Hurricane Harvey and difficulties they faced, notably in security


Post Comment


• News and Updates
• Webcast Alerts
• Building Technologies

All fields are required.