UK healthcare facility admits health and safety failing after Legionnaires death

December 22, 2017

The Royal United Hospital has admitted to a breach of a health and safety law after a patient dies of Legionnaires' disease, according to an article on the Bath Chronicle website.

An inquest found the 68-year-old contracted legionella bacteria from the water supply to the ward where he was a cancer patient.

The Health and Safety Executive later prosecuted the Bath hospital with failing to discharge its general duty towards health and safety to "a person other than an employee." The hospital pleaded guilty.

An investigation found the hospital did not managed the risks to patients from legionella bacteria in its hot and cold water systems, between July 2009 and August 2015.

Read the article.

 

See the latest posts on our homepage


Share

Topic Area: Infection Control


Recent Posts
Recent Posts

Bed bug histamines persistent in infested areas


New research suggests bed bugs are a medically important threat

2/16/2018

Supporting staff during a healthcare facility downsizing


As the healthcare landscape transforms, organizations face reengineering initiatives, restructurings, redundancies and downsizings

2/16/2018

W.Va. healthcare facility postpones surgeries due to sterilization issues


Cabell Huntington Hospital found residue on equipment and surgical trays

2/16/2018

Deadly ‘superbug’ fungus may be spreading


Number of U.S. patients infected with Candida auris has climbed to 200

2/16/2018

Report surveys Texas hospitals on Harvey-related issues


Texas Hospital Association analyzes Texas hospitals' disaster response before, during, and after Hurricane Harvey and difficulties they faced, notably in security

2/16/2018





Post Comment




FREE
NEWSLETTER

• News and Updates
• Webcast Alerts
• Building Technologies



All fields are required.