State probe finds Duluth facility's neglect allowed resident to drink cleaning chemical

May 16, 2019

The Minnesota Health Department ruled that operators of Westwood of Duluth senior facility  were negligent when a 70-year-old man inadvertently poisoned himself and died on Feb. 19, according to an article on the Star Tribune website.

A resident at a the senior care apartment complex, who was known for rummaging around for food and drink, downed a cleaning chemical that eventually  killed him three days later.

According to details of the state death investigation released Tuesday, “The facility failed to implement safety precautions” knowing that Nelson “had a history of climbing over the kitchen gate [and] failed to otherwise secure chemical cleaners.”

In response to the death, Westwood staff removed chemicals from under the kitchen sink and put locks on all cabinets, the report said.

Read the article.

See the latest posts on our homepage


Topic Area: Safety

Recent Posts
Recent Posts
Focus: Infection Control

Study: Outside temperature impacts pathogens in climate-controlled ICUs

The outside temperature can influence the indoor temperature


Security hired for Manitoba healthcare facilities after city bills for police time

Province announces two guards will be on staff at all times



When to consolidate clinical testing (core) laboratories.

Increasingly, customers of clinical testing labs want a one-stop shop, particularly as large healthcare systems acquire smaller, more specialized independent practices


'Best Places to Work' in healthcare named

Modern Healthcare shares alphabetical list of winners


Focus: Food Service

Vancouver VA offers veterans freshly prepared meals

All cooking is done on site, on the same day


Post Comment


News & Updates • Webcast Alerts • Building Technologies

All fields are required.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.