Gas-Powered Tools Sicken 12 on Construction Site

By By Dan Hounsell
April 9, 2021

The engineering and maintenance that takes place in healthcare facilities presents potential safety risks for front-line technicians, from arc-flash incidents to threats related to power tool use. Tool-related risks also extend to workers on construction projects.

Twelve construction workers are in the hospital after a carbon monoxide leak at a construction site in Saratoga Springs, Utah, on April 6, according to ABC 4. The construction crews were using gas-powered tools in a two-story building that didn’t have a ventilation system, which caused a build-up of carbon monoxide.

Nine people were transported by ambulance to local hospitals, and three other people drove themselves to local hospitals. Officials say a cement crew was working on the first floor of the building, while an electrical crew was working on the second floor of the building.

See the latest posts on our homepage


Topic Area: Construction

Recent Posts
Recent Posts

Stabbing of Physician Leads to Lawsuit

Doctor’s lawyers say no one on staff alerted hospital security or seemed to know how to respond to incident


Hospital's Renovation, Expansion Focus on Patients and Families

New facility will feature behavioral health design


Case Study: Revamped Hospital Meets Space Needs

Solution involved relocating and enlarging main entrance, reconfiguring hospital’s interior and adding a parking garage


Twice as Nice: Hospital To Double Bed Count

Expansion will add 200,000 square feet, more than double number of beds, and renovate and expand surgical and other facilities


Rethinking Emergency Preparedness in Assisted Living

Research findings underscore importance of understanding ‘unique challenges’ communities face


Post Comment


News & Updates • Webcast Alerts • Building Technologies

All fields are required.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.