More than 600 senior living communities around the world are enrolled to pursue or have achieved the WELL Health-Safety Rating or WELL Certification, representing more than 30 million square feet and a more than fourfold adoption increase in the sector since a year ago, according to the International WELL Building Institute (IWBI). Several innovators in senior living are helping drive the tremendous growth and adoption of WELL strategies across the sector.
By committing to the WELL Building Standard (WELL) and the WELL Health-Safety Rating, these sector leaders are not only helping redefine leadership in advancing health and safety but also reshaping the future for all senior living facilities. Notable recent sector achievements and commitments include:
- Enlivant, the first senior living organization to achieve the WELL Health-Safety Rating for its entire portfolio of 215 senior living communities, pursued the WELL rating to further demonstrate its commitment to promoting a safer and healthier environment for its employees and residents.
- Sunrise Senior Living, a leading provider of personalized senior living services, had the first senior living community, Sunrise in New York City, to achieve WELL Certification at the Silver level and WELL Health-Safety Rating, as well as LEED Silver Certification in 2021.
- Inspir Carnegie Hill, a flagship Maplewood Senior Living facility in Manhattan, New York City, achieved the WELL Health-Safety Rating in March.
- Sabra Health Care REIT, a real estate investment trust serving the healthcare industry, announced in April it is encouraging all its operators to pursue the WELL Health-Safety Rate as part of its ongoing ESG initiatives.
- Anthem Memory Care achieved the WELL Health-Safety Rating for its portfolio of 22 communities to enhance care and support for seniors living with memory loss.
- The Jewish Home of Rochester, a senior living community in New York, achieved the WELL Health-Safety Rating in May.
- Lendlease’s Ardor Gardens senior living facilities have recently achieved the WELL Health-Safety Rating across its portfolio in Shanghai.
- Pacific Care Home, senior living facilities across multiple cities in China, and China Life Caregarden YUN JING Senior Apartments have achieved WELL Precertification, pursuing health and well-being features across all 10 WELL concepts under the WELL Building Standard. These facilities are setting an example for others to follow suit in China, one of the countries with serious growth of aging population.
- The Views Senior Living of Marion in Iowa has achieved WELL Certification at the Gold level.