Employees and patients at the Montefiore health clinic in the Bronx may have come down with dangerous respiratory ailments due to mold and asbestos, according to an article on the Daily News website.
Approximately 60 nurses and other Montefiore Family Health Center employees have been treated at the hospital’s Occupational Health Service with respiratory symptoms since last fall, when the staffers first detected a musty odor coming from a severely water-damaged wing of the building, the article said.
Employees contend that the hospital administration initially denied there was a mold problem and never made patients aware of a potentially dangerous situation.
But Montefiore administrators claim the situation was handled in a timely manner and that no one was in danger, according to the article.
Montefiore officials said the facility has undergone upgrades including high-efficiency filters in the heating and cooling system, an Operating Room-level cleaning and a UV light treatment. Air quality will be monitored on an ongoing basis.
Read the article.