Ebola outbreak expected to continue at least 6 more months

WHO expert links large number of children affected to informal health facilities that are not regulated


The World Health Organization's (WHO's) deputy director-general for emergency preparedness and response, Peter Salama, said the current Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) is likely to continue for at least another six months, according to an article on the Centers for Infectious Disease Research and Policy website.

“This is the most complicated setting we've ever experienced in order to stop an Ebola outbreak," said Salama. "At a minimum, it will take six further months to stop."

The WHO now has 450 personnel working in DRC on the outbreak, with 100 of the workers added just in the last month.

Solama says the large number of children affected this time may be linked to  informal health facilities that are not regulated. These facilities are known locally as "tradi-moderns," or traditional-modern health centers. They are private businesses, and employees do not need any medical licenses or certificates.

Read the article.

 

 

 

 



February 1, 2019


Topic Area: Infection Control


Recent Posts

What 'Light' Daily Cleaning of Patient Rooms Misses

Most environmental services workers still clean as if they were wiping dust off a countertop, not disrupting a living, structured community.


Sprinkler Compliance: Navigating Code Mandates, Renovation Triggers and Patient Safety

As CMS deadlines approach and renovation projects accelerate, healthcare facility managers must understand how NFPA 101, state fire codes and sprinkler design strategies intersect.


MUSC Board of Trustees Approves $1.1B South Carolina Cancer Hospital

Research and education are intentionally embedded in the hospital’s design, with dedicated spaces for scientific collaboration, clinical investigation and training.


Study Outlines Hand Hygiene Guidelines for EVS Staff

Researchers find that current guidelines for hand hygiene don’t include EVS workers and suggest indicators to fill that gap.


McCarthy Completes $65M Sharp Rees-Stealy Kearny Mesa MOB Modernization

The completed tenant improvement includes approximately 100,000 square feet of improved space across two buildings and represents an investment of $65 million.


 
 


FREE Newsletter Signup Form

News & Updates | Webcast Alerts
Building Technologies | & More!

 
 
 


All fields are required. This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.