Glasgow hospital patient ill with new fungal infection

February 8, 2019

A patient at Glasgow's Queen Elizabeth University Hospital is seriously ill after contracting a fungal infection, according to an article on the BBC website.

Health Secretary Jeane Freeman said the patient was one of two affected by the infection, related to mucor mold. It follows the death of a 10-year-old boy who contracted the cryptococcus infection, related to pigeon droppings.

Freeman has ordered a review to investigate how the building's design, handover and maintenance contributed to effective infection control.

NHS Greater Glasgow said the likely source is a water leak in a single patient room in the hospital, which has been repaired.

Read the article.

See the latest posts on our homepage


Share

Topic Area: Infection Control


Recent Posts
Recent Posts
Focus: Facility Design

Designing for introverts and extroverts


Private spaces energize introverts and social spaces energize extroverts, according to an article on the Healthcare Design website

2/15/2019

Blog

A crash course in GRC for the healthcare industry


Healthcare facilities must take the time to ensure that all employees are educated on governance, risk and compliance (GRC) when it comes to information security

2/15/2019

Focus: Facility Design

Balancing sustainable design and efficiency


Upgrades to green building standards have provided a solid framework

2/15/2019

Health system energy investments support carbon goal


Kaiser Permanente purchases wind, solar and battery energy

2/15/2019

Focus: Plumbing

Study says removing sinks from ICU cuts bacterial colonization


'Water-free' patient care can reduce the number of ICU patients colonized with gram-negative bacteria

2/15/2019





Post Comment




FREE
NEWSLETTER

News & Updates • Webcast Alerts • Building Technologies

All fields are required.