An advocate for patients' rights is sounding the alarm about safety and security at Quebec seniors' homes after a 93-year-old woman was found dead of hypothermia in Montreal, according to an article on the CBC Radio website.
The woman left the seniors' complex through a back door at 4:15 a.m. after a carbon monoxide alarm went off.
The door locked behind her, trapping her outside in a windchill of –32 C. Her body was discovered seven hours later.
Police say it appears she didn't hear an audio announcement that her building — one of three in the complex — was not being evacuated.
The facility said security cameras show the woman was wearing winter clothing when she left and may have fainted while outside.
See the latest posts on our homepage