Advocates have raised concerns that some nursing homes being used by Florida officials as coronavirus isolation units have had issues in the past, according to an article on the ABC News website.
Some of the nursing homes have been cited for failing to institute adequate infection and disease control precautions, an attorney at the Boca Raton-based Senior Justice Law Firm, said.
Four of the 23 Florida facilities set aside to serve as isolation centers for elderly coronavirus patients are on the Florida Agency for Health Care Administration watch list, the article said.
Avante at Boca Raton, for instance, was fined by medicare for more than $76,000 for various infractions in 2019.
There are several factors skilled nursing facilities need to keep in mind for infection control in the age of COVID-19. An infection control-focused survey will likely examine:
- The overall effectiveness of the infection prevention and control program policies and procedures
- Standard and transmission-based precautions
- The quality of resident care practices
- The surveillance plan
- Visitor entry and facility screening
- Staff education monitoring and screening
- Procedures to address staffing issues
See the latest posts on our homepage