Focus: Infection Control

One dead after Legionella found at West Michigan hospital

January 8, 2019

A 92-year-old man died from pneumonia after he tested positive for Legionnaires' disease in late November, according to an article on the MLive website.

The man had been treated and discharged from Spectrum Health Pennock Hospital to a rehab center when he died.

Health officials described the 92-year-old’s case as “complex” and said that, while he died from chronic aspiration pneumonia, it’s not possible to determine if it was related to Legionnaires' disease.

The bacteria is believed confined to the hospital’s water. The hospital is using alternative water sources and water filtration.

Read the article.



See the latest posts on our homepage


Topic Area: Infection Control

Recent Posts
Recent Posts

Before flu season is a good time to review infection control procedures

When it comes to treating contagious and easily transmissible diseases healthcare providers are the first line of defense


Patient burned in fire at Mich. ER

Fire investigators are looking into the incident and have listed it as suspicious


New Jersey hospital addresses workplace violence with weapons screening

Virtua Camden emergency department also uses an amnesty box and signage


Some VA healthcare centers told to improve cleanliness

Inspectors looked at 51 randomly selected VA health facilities across the country


Blog/Focus: Facility Design

10 reasons why stainless steel products are the best choice for healthcare design teams and facility managers

Stainless steel products provide many functional and health benefits.


Post Comment


News & Updates • Webcast Alerts • Building Technologies

All fields are required.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.