Focus: Infection Control

Two dead after pigeon dropping infection at Glasgow hospital

January 30, 2019

Two patients have died after contracting a fungal infection caused by pigeon droppings at the Queen Elizabeth University Hospital in Glasgow, Scotland, according to an article  on the BBC website.

One infected patient died, but from an unrelated cause, according to hospital officials. Another infected patient has also died but the factors contributing to the death are still being investigated. 

A small number of vulnerable pediatric and adult patients are receiving medication to protect them against the airborne infection, which is a Cryptococcus species.

A non-public room in the hospital is thought to contain machinery, was identified as a likely source.  The hospital has taken steps to keep the pigeons from the room — and ultimately from the hospital's ventilation system.

Read the article.

 

 

See the latest posts on our homepage


Share

Topic Area: Infection Control


Recent Posts



Post Comment




FREE
NEWSLETTER

News & Updates • Webcast Alerts • Building Technologies

All fields are required.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.