A coroner’s inquest determined that hospital food contributed to a 13-year-old’s death in a Melbourne, Australia healthcare facility in 2015, according to an article on the Allergic Living website.
The boy stayed overnight at Frankston Hospital because of an asthma attack.
His mother told staff of his allergies to milk, egg and nuts and instructed them to serve her son only a safe cereal with soy milk.
The coroner couldn’t determine if the severe reaction was because the boy was served cow’s milk or if there was cross-contact with dairy products. But the coroner did find that the breakfast set off a chain of events whereby Louis died of a rare condition called “malignant hyperthermia.”