Inquest probes boy's death of severe food allergy reaction in hospital

December 22, 2017

The parents of a 13-year-old Australian boy who died after being served breakfast as a patient at Frankston Hospital in Melbourne say the hospital staff was informed of his allergies, according to an article on Allergic Living website.

The boy had allergies to milk, egg and nuts since he was a baby. In October 2015, he was admitted to the hospital because of an asthma attack. 

The nurse in charge of the children’s ward in the hospital at the time of the death told the inquest his allergies were not recorded on the kitchen’s whiteboard, which is a protocol at the hospital to indicate a child’s allergies. 

An Allergic Living report in Fall 2017 found the issue of food safety in hospitals for people with food allergies does not appear to be on the radar for some key organizations — despite the rapid rise in the disease’s incidence.

Read the article.


See the latest posts on our homepage


Topic Area: Safety

Recent Posts
Recent Posts
Focus: Security

Nurses union to press charges against abusive patients

The measure follows years of the union pushing for better hospital security and nurse training


Blog/Focus: Technology

Time for technology to take on tough staffing challenges

It’s never been more important for healthcare facility managers to focus on strategic staffing and retention. The right technology is here to help.


Report explores healthcare wayfinding best practices

Report explores the people, processes and tools that large medical facilities have implemented to manage their wayfinding systems


Focus: Security

Top online security blogs to watch

VPN Mentor website lists blogs offering most up-to-date news, insight and analysis


Flying hospital supports eye care in developing nations

Orbis Flying Eye Hospital strengthens local eye care institutions, trains staff, introduces ophthalmic technology


Post Comment


• News and Updates
• Webcast Alerts
• Building Technologies

All fields are required.