Inquest probes boy's death of severe food allergy reaction in hospital

December 22, 2017

The parents of a 13-year-old Australian boy who died after being served breakfast as a patient at Frankston Hospital in Melbourne say the hospital staff was informed of his allergies, according to an article on Allergic Living website.

The boy had allergies to milk, egg and nuts since he was a baby. In October 2015, he was admitted to the hospital because of an asthma attack. 

The nurse in charge of the children’s ward in the hospital at the time of the death told the inquest his allergies were not recorded on the kitchen’s whiteboard, which is a protocol at the hospital to indicate a child’s allergies. 

An Allergic Living report in Fall 2017 found the issue of food safety in hospitals for people with food allergies does not appear to be on the radar for some key organizations — despite the rapid rise in the disease’s incidence.

Read the article.

 

See the latest posts on our homepage


Share

Topic Area: Safety


Recent Posts
Recent Posts

Baltimore hospital apologizes after security guards leave discharged patient on street in hospital gown


Hospital system is talking to everyone who came into contact with the woman

1/16/2018

Focus: Infection Control

Legionnaires’ risk can't be eliminated at Illinois VA home


13 people have died of Legionnaires’ disease at Quincy healthcare facility

1/16/2018

Focus: Disaster Preparedness

Ham radio operators train to help healthcare facilities, others in disasters


Operators take classes on operating in a hospital

1/16/2018

Focus: Disaster Preparedness

Healthcare facilities weigh in on weather safety for employees


Some hospitals offer sleeping accommodations, food and other essential items.

1/16/2018

Noisy ORs can put patients at risk


Excessive noise can be distracting to healthcare providers

1/16/2018





Post Comment




FREE
NEWSLETTER

• News and Updates
• Webcast Alerts
• Building Technologies



All fields are required.