Henrico Doctors’ Hospital recently detected suspicious activity within its information network and, upon further investigation, determined that an unauthorized actor accessed certain Henrico Doctors’ Hospital network systems. It has since been confirmed that, during that period of access, certain private data was reviewed and/or removed from particular Henrico Doctors’ Hospital computer systems, and that private information of a large number of people was involved in this network hack. It is currently unknown how many individuals have had their information used for criminal purposes. What’s more, the full impact of the Henrico Doctors’ Hospital data breach may not be known for months or even years. The organization has already started notifying individuals of the incident and may be sending out more notices as further information arises. The organization has also notified at least one state Attorney General so that the public can begin to protect itself.
If you received notice of this alarming data breach and/or have transacted in any way with Henrico Doctors’ Hospital, your information may now be in the hands of cybercriminals, making your urgent attention to this situation very important.
If you were impacted by a data breach, you should consider taking the following steps to protect your personal information:
- Review the breach notice you received and retain a copy
- Enroll in any free credit monitoring service provided by the breached company
- Change your passwords and security questions for related online accounts
- Review account statements and credit reports for signs of fraud or identity theft
- Contact a credit bureau to request a temporary fraud alert